Today we were all excited for Siena. We heard wonderful
things about this medieval town. We eagerly boarded the bus knowing there would
be a rest stop half way at a pastry bar and shoe store! We were told we had
roughly 40-45 minutes for this very brief pit stop. As Paul (our host at Casa
Cares) frequently says, pit stops are for “emptying out and filling up” and if
we wanted to do some shopping we had to do so quickly. Challenge accepted. I
was on a mission to find nice shoes from Italy and I was so excited. I ran
through the store quickly scanning all they had to offer and easily found 10
pairs of shoes I would have loved to take home. Sadly, due to limited suitcase
space 10 won’t work. Instead, I now have three beautiful new pairs of quality
shoes to call my own! I found a pair of Birkenstock sandals (which I
immediately changed into for comfort), a pair of leather ankle boots, and an
adorable pair of platform sandals. From what I hear, the look on my face after
making this purchase was one of pure joy that others found amusing. I surely
was joyful—I am a lover of shoes. :)![]() |
| Learning about the town flags and horse race |
I could easily end the blog entry there, because my day was
complete, but the day continued to get better and better. After another short
bus ride and we were in Siena. Let me tell you, Siena is such a gorgeous town.
The bus dropped us off at the Fortezza, a wall that was built to protect the
city. A short walk around the wall and we were met our tour guide, Roberta. During
our 2-hour tour we learned about Saint Catherine, a Siena native who is the
patron saint of Rome and Italy. St. Catherine had a habit of fasting (some
believed it to be anorexia) which caused her to be so undernourished that she
would often faint and have visions of God. We saw St. Catherine’s right thumb
and head which are preserved in the San Dominico church. By some miracle, her
thumb had never really decomposed and evidently still has skin on it. It looked
like it was made of wood to me. People visit these relics in hopes of also
having visions from God. Our tour continued through the winding and hilly
streets of Siena. The city was absolutely stunning. After the tour finished, we
were free to wander for several hours before the bus left for Casa Cares. We
asked Roberta for a restaurant recommendation and we had the most delicious
lunch!![]() |
| Roberta showing us where to eat lunch. |
Just a few blocks from the center piazza, we had a
delightful lunch filled with salads, pastas, meat, and vegetables. We also were
so surprised by our server’s wine recommendation. My next mission is to find
this wine and bring a bottle of it home. It was a 2012 Tuscan wine with “Ebo”
on the label. After our near 2-hour lunch, we wandered around the city and did
some more shopping. We eventually found our way back to the bus and headed back
to Casa Cares.
So far, Siena has been my favorite city. I loved the charm
of the winding roads and hills with picturesque views when you catch a glimpse
over the rooftops. It’s the kind of place you imagine romantic comedies are
filmed. You can also imagine what it might have been like to live in Siena
hundreds of years ago. The history is palpable and you just want to absorb as
much of it as possible.
Well it’s off to sleep and time to dream about Siena.
Buona Notte,
Buona Notte,
Emily
![]() | |
| Siena Cathedral |







No comments:
Post a Comment